Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Streetcar Named Desire

Big boys play with big toys.

Happy days are not away. Tata uncle is going to present all the big boys (and big girls) his dream car, in just 100 thousand bucks! Now everyone will have his own car. Papa has his car and mamma has her car as well. Now I too am going to have my car. I will not have to wake up early in the morning to catch the bus. Oh how eagerly (more than for new Harry Potter!) I have been waiting for the day when I will break open my piggy bank and rush to the city center to buy it!

Wow! What a great fun it will be! I’ll drive, like Shahrukh (in that ad with Preity), looking all cool, burning the tires and zooming past all others on the surprised road. Yippee! I wonder how it feels like – to hold the control with soft hands and to turn the little wonder gently on corner, and to feel its tender hum with the touch of foot! Moon! Music! Oh God! It’s splendid! I will ask Neha for a drive, and we’ll go to ‘Temptations’, she and I. Hope that creepy thing - Rahul doesn’t poke his long nose, coz even he was talking about his piggy bank and his plans.

So even he will get a gift, not just I! And like he and I, everyone else! What nonsense!

But then how will I enjoy? Our town is already so crowded, and God knows how many red-lights are there, with those sneaky policemen around. And it is terrible to get stuck in one of those traffic hold-ups! I hate it - people mindlessly honking, and dust and smoke, and our sitting helplessly, sweating and waiting. TURN ON THE AC! What a terrible pain! What is car for if you are made to crawl it behind a rickshaw? It’s all useless junk, any model, any color!

I wish we were in Shahrukh’s town, where we could drive fast on broad clean roads with trees on both the sides, swaying with breeze as they show in TV. Our town is not that good for driving. Hope we shift to Shahrukh’s town some day. Last Friday mamma got so awfully hurt; some jerk had hit her car outside the parking. Now she leaves early for office so that she could reach safely and get a nice place to park her car. I guess traffic wouldn’t be that bad in the morning.

Oh no! Again I’ll have to wake up early!

Well, it’s a good idea to wake early if you could drive fast, at least drive without getting hurt. But with creeps like Rahul around, it’s foolish to suppose that they wouldn’t get this idea. And then it’ll be all the same. I’ll have to wake up even earlier.

Why doesn’t Tata uncle make some roads for us? I wonder how many roads he will have to make, and where! Perhaps it will be too hard on him. But then he should not sell his cars in our town if he, or anyone else for that matter, can not make roads here, the roads that we need to drive our cars without getting late or hurt. Why doesn't he see this? It is so plain and simple. Or may be he does!

Let me think.

I guess I don't need his gift. My bus is alright for me, with Neha sitting next to me. :)

5 comments:

Abhishek* said...

?

Tanmay said...

Nice post abhi.most of ur posts are serious types. this one is a refreshing change!and good luck with neha:)
Tanmay(from sgp)

Abhishek* said...

so someone does read my posts!!

Tanmay said...

I am sure you would have a good fan following!

Abhishek* said...

India needs an efficient public transport system. We can't imitate Europeans and Americans as we don't like to ride bicycles like them. We are irresponsible people with post-colonial angst and bourgeouis ambitions.

When I see one car used by one person on a red light, or in a traffic hold-up, I get a feeling of WASTE. I have severe doubts if we, as a society, can afford this luxury to every individual.

There are dreams better unrealized, there are prayers that must not be answered.