Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Walkway


The narrowing strip of land on which we were walking, if seen from sky, looked like a church fallen flat on the blue bed of water, with its long tapering spire thrust deep into the stomach of the sea, spilling a sea of blue blood.

However, if you looked above, from down, from the sea, you could hardly see the walk-way from there. From there, you could only see a flat face of one of the two mountainous walls, or their joining edge towering into the clouds.

The waves of the sea leaped and crashed furiously at the foot of the walls. At the top, almost a thousand feet above the sea, we were walking oblivious to the noise. The sound of sea could hardly climb up to us. There was a humming silence in the air, and a serenity typical of the seaside nights, embracing us all over. A gentle breeze blew carrying the cool freshness of the sea, caressing our faces, casting spell on our mind. That walk was like a dream.

We had come far from the city lights. We had walked past the sinking sun, and then the last of lamp-posts, and now the light faded behind us. In the light of day, we wouldn't possibly have taken that way. In the darkness, we were not able to see where the road led. The sides were appearing to come closer. They had to meet somewhere ahead. It was just a matter of distance.

Above us, the night was pitch dark, and it stretched as far as our eyes could see. The stars sparkled as they sometimes do. It seemed that they had descended a few stairs. They seemed nearer than ever.

The narrowing road was pushing us closer. It was increasingly hard for us to maintain a safe distance.

- Didn't I say you'll love it?
- Yes, I'm loving it.
- Hmm... but it's getting late. Look, the stars are out. I think we should go back now.
- Yes, the stars are out. And the night is lovely. I wonder if we could walk a little further.

It was getting narrower. And she was beginning to get worried about safety. She was beginning to get worried about fall. She was looking down at the sea. On my part, I was looking up at the stars. And at her.

While she was thinking, I was wondering.

I had no idea that something had gotten into her mind.

- I think we should stop now. We'll fall if we walk further.
- Let's hold each other. We'll not fall then.
- We'll surely fall then.

She smiled the way she smiles, beautifully, and meaningfully. I acknowledged the beauty but pretended not to understand the meaning. I pretended innocence. I wanted the life to go on like that. I didn't want anything to change.

That something had started to work on her mind, and on my unsuspecting happiness.

- I am loving it. But I'm afraid we'll get drowned.
- How come? We are among clouds. Water is nowhere near.

I was too happy to think too much about anything. And I didn't want her to think too much either. We were walking together, we were happy, and nothing else mattered.

Life went on like dream, for a few more dreamy minutes, till that happened. One of the stones she had stepped on lost its ground and fell into the deep reality of sea. The fall was as silent as death, and it was sinister in its premonition. It was just a fall, but there was something surreal about it.

Feelings began to get clouded by Fear. The change began to take place. To mark the beginning, the clouds of fear issued forth a frightful thunderbolt.

- I am sorry I came.

She steadied herself and turned back, her face hardened with a determination to go back to the lamp-posts. She was not the same person anymore. She was still with me, but I had already started to miss her. I was left alone with a stranger who wanted to leave, who wanted to leave stars for lamp-posts! My starry dream was turning into a lamp-post reality! And I could do nothing about it. To my dismay, it occurred to me that what I wanted to do didn't carry much weight in the larger scheme of things.

I was standing deserted like a fool, losing my respect, losing my fundamental rights. In no time, the simplest of things became complicated and difficult for me. I wanted to look back. But I couldn't. I wanted to say something to her. But I couldn't. My voice had lost its dignity, its power!

I was burning in shame. I wanted to break my frustrated heart. That was easy. I could do that. And I did that. I looked ahead - the road was still wide enough for solo walk. In my despair, in my desperation, in my self-hatred, I kept on walking, unable to forget my irrelevance, unable to forgive my disgraceful irrelevance in my own life.

I kept on walking alone, in a desperate need to restore my relevance to myself. I had to walk though the night didn't look lovely anymore. The loveliness had walked away to the lamp-posts. And the stars had gone back. What lied ahead was just a dark night, a solitary walk, and a silent fall. But I was not afraid of fall. I had to keep on walking, in order to keep myself from falling in my own eyes.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why the third person pronoun, who else is this piece addressed to?
A personal reply was expected..

Abhishek* said...

All characters in this post are fictitious, and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental. :)

Anonymous said...

"She was still with me, but I had already started to miss her."

I can associate myself with this.

-Sanket

Abhishek* said...

Each one of us can. Loss is common.

Anonymous said...

Loss is permanent.

Anonymous said...

Did she ever come back?? Or do you still miss her?//?

Anonymous said...

"The loveliness had walked away to the lamp-posts. And the stars had gone back. What lied ahead was just a dark night, a solitary walk, and a silent fall."

Every dark night ends with a beautiful sunrise...

Every solitary walk teaches us something new,...and ends in an amazing destination

and a silent fall.... where does it end???

Abhishek* said...

Our expectations are distorted by our vision, which is rendered myopic by the tortuosity of the path life walks on. Furthermore, our sense of reality often lacks grasp of something immensely relevant to reality - Irony, which I have come to accept as a rule rather than exception in life.

Ironically, those who don't fear falling often grow wings and end up flying. In fact, there remains no difference between falling and flying anymore. Love is the horizon where opposites meet and stay together. And that's the magic of it.

Abhishek* said...

And yes Mr/Ms Snoopy, if you must know, she did come back. :)

Abhishek* said...

which means that even loss is not permanent.

Anonymous said...

:)
So she did come back..
Good for you:):)

Anonymous said...

"Love is the horizon where opposites meet and stay together. And that's the magic of it."

--------Cant Similar people fall in love???

Abhishek* said...

They can. And they do.

I was not referring to personalities there.

I was referring to a person, for whom opposite thoughts and feelings meet when he/she is in love. I hope I am making sense here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abhishek* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.