Monday, November 28, 2005

'I am amuse' - the background of the critique

What weakens our existential position? It is a very interesting question answering of which demands a deep delving into the depths of human psychology. I am not going to attempt this question. I am only going to start this post with it.
Lets imagine: you are an honest and idealist DCP and you have waged a war against the local mafia. The MLA is known to be the man behind the illegal activities too. He is the Godfather of the prominent gang operating in the area. You have arrested many goons of his gang and raided his godowns with remarkable success. There is a virtual cold-war between you and him. You can very well imagine the tension involved in such type of battle if you have seen 'Shool'.
One fine day you get a call by your delirious wife about the kidnapping of your daughter from her school. You, being a police officer, are doubly targetted by this. Your love as well as your honour is at stake. You unleash the full force of the police machinary to rescue your child but all your efforts go in vain. Also you can not do anything rash here. You are lying utterly helpless and wretched beside your half-dead wife at your home.
The next day in evening the MLA turns up with his wife to show his sympathy and solidarity at this hour of crisis.
- What to say at this hour of crisis? But I very well guessed they were after you. This is how they are, the bastards, the cowards! This is how they go on doing their business. Murder, kidnapping, and what not, nothing is what they wouldnt do to meet their ends. They have made a hell out of this place. They should be encountered or hanged without trail. They dont deserve any mercy. Is this how you earn money? They are a shame on the name of this place! Even I do business. But kidnapping? Never! Murder? Ram Ram! But look at the irony. The opposition has made me God knows what. I am the most misunderstood man I tell you.
-
- But it's sad that the police is also misguided. I, the humble servant of people, am branded as a thief, a robber, a criminal! Wasnt it for the love of my people I would have committed suicide in grief. But I was and I am hopeful that everyone will see the truth someday. I have full faith in God. God has given me whatever I have and I am sure He will not deny me justice either.
-
- I am bearing this pain for my people. But what makes you playing with your life? And your familiy's life? Look at your wife! I cant see her like this. My wife is also a mother. She can better understand her plight. She urged me to see you and help you in whichever way I could. So I am here. You might consider me your enemy but you can not ignore the fact that I am as old as your father. I have seen the world more than you. No book or degree will teach you the experience I have. You are like a son to me. Seeing you like this gives me an unbearable pain. My heart cries out for you.
-
- Look. I know this gang very well. This man used to wash my car a few days back before his soaring ambition took him away from me, to the path of crime like kidnapping. He may not be with me anymore but I know people who can help us. Only if you want. Your police force, I am sure, will do nothing but endanger the life of the kid. You have been quite childish in the past. You dont understand the practicalities of life. Duty is okay but you should have been more careful and more discreet.
-
- Leave it. Now dont regret what have you done. At your age everyone commits some mistake. Make sure you dont repeat them. You must learn something from your experiences. I would be happy if you treat me as your friend. And you, Beti, dont cry, and dont worry. As long as I am here nothing will happen to your child. She will return home safe. And very soon.
Can you say a NO to his offer? No, you can not because you are a man, not God. Only God is supposed to be get away with Godly moralities because he is powerful and invulnerable. We mortals must prepare ourselves for severe punishments for flaunting moralities.
How would you feel? How would you feel in recieving help from your worst enemy? How would you react? Could you afford to be the same police officer as you were? What would remain the same in you?
Think and look at the question again.
What weakens our existential position?
Note: Whatever, this is not the point. This is just a background for the critique of the play I just watched. And for my portrait of Hero and Villain.

No comments: