Thursday, November 01, 2007

The wisdom of stupidity

Kissing on road surely looks better than pissing on road, but Indian male would rather practice the latter, or even the worse - the former done with spirit of the latter. Public display of phallus is considered more manly and less shameful than public display of affection. Similarly, he would never kiss his wife when kids are around; but he forgets all the codes of discretion when he has to shout at her. Which kind of one-way impulsiveness is this? Shouldn't this be the other way round?

What we choose for ourselves is what we permit others, and such choices and permissions speak volumes about our collective sense of expression.

Of late, I have noticed that my friends fail to read my mood when I am sad. In those gloomy moments, anything that saps my spirit or tests my patience causes irritation. Finally, and often suddenly, I would end up losing my temper. Since I can express my anger without feeling much of inhibition, my friends often suffer for something they can not be held responsible - my utter inability to express my sorrow.

Does my behavior follow any particular pattern? What are the other emotions that I feel difficult to express? And why? When I thought about it, I did found a pattern. I tend to hide emotions that make me look weak and helpless. With further inquiry, it was revealed to me that the root cause of this type of behavior was my ego and a fear of my ego getting hurt. I also discovered, to my dismay, that whenever there is a conflict between my and my ego's interests, the latter prevails at expense of the former!

Now this situation doesn't help anyone's purpose. There are too many things you want to do but your ego wouldn't let you. You want to say no to the commands of peer pressure but you can't. You want to say "Hi" to a girl you like but you can't. You want to patch up with your old friend but you can't. Submission to ego makes life unbearably suffocating sometimes, especially without alcohol.

There is a lot to be written but I will rather not (say Thank you :). I am writing too much nowadays and I feel heady. Thankfully, a trip to Kerala is coming up shortly. I think I need a break. I need to break away from this state of mind. I need some fresh air. I have not danced for a long time. Sometimes dancing does what thinking can not. Dance is an expression of joy, but such is the irony of heart, even sorrow gets purged.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best way to beat the blues, is indeed, to dance them away.

Abhishek* said...

yes, happy hormones are secreted when you dance. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah in ur little striptease u do look very happy ;D

Anonymous said...

ya to masjid mein baith ke peene do mujhe / ya bataa do kis jagah par khuda nahin.

-- Daag Dehlavi