Wednesday, October 26, 2005

At lunch table

Usually I don't discuss philosophy at lunch table. But today it just happened. One of my colleague was lamenting over the age old problem of loneliness.

-what should I do?
-make yourself prepared to live alone.

The first thing is to be understood that the methods of reason will not be effective when the problem is emotional. Here the solution is simple- do what you feel like.

The popular remedy was to make a girlfriend. I didnt and I still dont see any merit in this suggestion.

I vaguely remember my childhood. Like junior Phillip Carey* I was fond of this class-mate. We used to sit together in the class. We used to share our happiness and sorrow and our little childlike thoughts too. We used to roam around in recess and used to share our food too. I didnt feel like eating when he was not around. My memory regarding him reminds me to this amazing thing: my jealousy and consequent fury when some other guy used to talk to him. I used to feel terribly insecure. I dreaded if he would leave me and go away.

Today I dont remember his face or even his name. Today I realize that friendship dies with time. It is subject to the cruelty of the clock.

Love. I wouldnt say that its doesnt exist. But it doesnt exist in the way we think it does. We feel similar attachments towards opposite sex. We take time and experience to understand that the nature of this longing is very generic not specific. You realize that you CAN live without her/him(your only one) when she/he goes away. Someone else comes in the way. You live unabashedly cheerfully even after the most treasured ones leave you. Sometimes later your life runs smoothly and you even detest the prospect of their coming back into your life. Time teaches. Time trains.

Love facillitates sex, justifies sex; it runs away from sex only to come back to it, drooling and disgraceful. And given everything, love is utopian. It is imaginary, unreal, farcical

When these poetic idols are demolished, you begin to worship the real God, that is time. Then you begin to realize that companionship of a casual acquaintance is far more meaningful than the memories of your best friends. With time, friendship becomes meaningless. People use their friends only to flaunt their social status. It all becomes so embarrassing and burdensome. We go to our friends in our crises seeking consolation. But it comes costly. You pay later through your nose.

Relationships are luxury. And soon they become your necessity.

No comments: