Friday, October 14, 2005

Why dont you reveal yourself to me?

I walk through a lonely lane, in the powder-blue dusk. On my left I see the sun, after its daily chore, descending the stairs of sky with heavy steps; leaving nothing but a scattered, smouldering fire fainting in the arms of steel-gray clouds. To my right is an array of huge cemented, hollowed bricks, piled up all along the way. The oppressive silence, made conspicuous by the harsh chirrup of crows, gawks ominously through the dimly lit hollows of the bricks.
Suddenly someone calls my name. I stop. I turn my head but see noone around. A hallucination! I continue. I hear the call again. I look back, only to see the black-clad shadow of gloominess unobtrusively painting everything around in its own colour. I try to wade through the air that seems to be heavy with the eager anticipation of the unknown. I remember, I have heard this call before too. I take a tentative step further. But this time the call was somewhat different. I keep on walking. There was a sense of urgency, a cry of pitiful warning!
Keep walking.
This is the last warning!
I feel the hardness of the air in my lungs.
It is just a call, not a message. Or perhaps it is a message. But I am not able to decipher it. All I sense is that this message is important.
Yesterday evening too I felt a ceaseless churning, a violent stirring in my soul. I could feel it even physically. It was a dull but growing pain in by chest, shooting from my stomach and almost choking my throat, as if something struggled to release itself from within me. But after sometime it subsided and I slept. I woke up again, in midnight. And I found that my breathing was not regular. Out of consternation I paced in my balcony, till the depressing sight of the moonless night made me bored and go back to my bed. I lied down and tried to sleep till I became tired of trying. Finally I gave up in frustration. Then I slept.
Did yesterday die yesterday or is it still living in today's body? Is yesterday's illness is related to today's illusion? Does my caller want to save me from something which is ambushing around the next corner with bated breath? Is this restlessness, this dissatisfaction a secret language in which my destiny is talking to me?
Or this is one of the many 'nothing buts'? Nothing but a product of my imagination only to be disposed of as early as possible?
Why dont you reveal yourself to me? I would not make any mistake in recognizing you. I have already figured out how you would look like. I know your eyes. There is, there has to be, a connection between our souls. Let me once peer into your eyes and I will pick out the other end of the thread. Show yourself. I'll pledge myself to you and redeem myself.

No comments: