Monday, June 06, 2005

The downsides of Internet

There are many which you and I already know.
There is one I came to know about today. I would like to share with you.
My friend R J, the trivia man, came up with a sensational news about a US Law. According to him ONLY missionary position is allowed while sexual intercourse in some states of USA.
Well, what to say! I tried to act un-Abhishekly and kept silence. But his repetition irked me. My patience died as usual and we jumped into something euphemistically called a discussion. My point was regarding the impossibility of the implementation of this postulated law without violating the norms of democracy and thereby the impossibility of the very existence of such a law. Would it be acceptable to anyone to be monitored while having sex in his/her bedroom? Even Big Brother was more permissive in this matter. It was simply LUDICROUS!!
Well, all my allusion to logic and rationality failed before his obstinate willingness to prove his point. We dropped the issue till the next day and I relented.
Today is the 'next day'. I was really sent a couple of links testifying his incredible claims. I was shocked for a moment but thankfully my sense of reason didnt abandon me. After all it was UNBELIEVABLE! Well, I agree missionary position is THE BEST but .... ok not here.
Let's come to the point. I asked him to read the disclaimer which clearly read that the contents of the site were solely for the purpose of entertainment. Yes I forgot to tell you.. there were more of interesting 'laws' like sex with virgins was prohibited and sex without condoms were banned and many other.
But how many of us bother to read the disclaimer? I never did before. And surely even my friend didnt. It was not his mistake. He had read those stuff on the net. His only folly was to give up his rationality because even laws are founded on reason which he was not willing to understand.
So better be careful. There is a huge amount of false information floating on the web.
Aankhon mein bhar de andhera, tum aisi roshni se bachna. - Murder

No comments: